When I visit your classroom or school, I usually bring a lot of things with me—giant sticky notes, markers of various colors and sizes, visual aids, old manuscripts, a book or two, and rocks (yes, sometimes I actually do bring rocks, which makes for a very heavy bag).
I also bring years of experience, both as a professional writer and teacher. I’m the author of the middle grade novel Superstar (HarperCollins, 2017), which has been included on multiple best book lists. I also have an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults, a BA in Education, and I spent six years as a classroom teacher.
But even more important than any qualification, I bring with me the heartfelt intent to open kids’ minds, to inspire them to see the world in new and different ways, and to help them connect more deeply with those around them. I have witnessed the power of words as force of good in my own life and cannot wait to share this power with the kids at your school!
I offer the following presentations/workshops for third through sixth grade students in both individual and multiple class settings. Each presentation lasts about an hour.
From Idea to Book: A Behind-the-Scenes Peak into the Publishing Process – In this presentation, I’ll tell the story of how Superstar became a book—from beginning sentences to publication and beyond. Along with this deep exploration of the book-writing process, I’ll also tell stories from my childhood and adult life that inspired me to become an author.
The Character Jar: The Secret to Creating Great Characters – Creating believable characters is one of the most important (and hardest) parts of writing fiction. In this presentation, we’ll use a jar as a metaphor for character to help students visualize and explore the character creation process. I’ll also share my own secret method for making my characters feel like real people.
Turning Good into Better: An Adventure in Revision – Everywhere I go, teachers tell me their students hate revision. I’m on a mission to change that! To me, revision is the most exciting part of the writing process. In this workshop, we’ll explore what revision really is and learn various revision techniques as we work together to revise a piece I wrote when I was a kid.
In addition to the above hour-long presentations/workshops, I also offer half-hour Author Chats where I will read from my book and answer any questions the students may have about me, the writing process, or anything else they want to know. These Author Chats are also available as Video (Skype) Visits!
I believe that stories have the power to shape a young person’s view of the world, to affect them in deep and immeasurable ways. I hope, in some small way, that my author visits will do the same.
I’m available to speak to just one class, to come for the entire day (up to four hour-long presentations and/or workshops), or to stay for a multiple day visit. It’s all up to you!
I charge either by the presentation or the day, depending on how many presentations you’d like.
- An hour-long presentation/workshop for multiple classes starts at $250.
- An hour-long presentation/workshop for a single class starts at $125.
- Half-hour Author Chats start at $75.
- If you’d like an All-Day Visit (which includes four presentations/workshops), the cost starts at $800 per day (a savings of $200 off the cost of individual presentations).
Please note, your fee may be higher based on your school’s distance from my home in central Indiana and may include additional travel and lodging costs, if necessary.
The fee for a half-hour Video Visit is $50 (with no additional charges). Discounts are not available for video visits.
(These fees are current for the 2018-2019 school year. Fees for the 2019-2020 school year will be updated in July 2019.)
BOOK AN AUTHOR VISIT (in 4 easy steps)
- Complete the form below. That way, I’ll have a basic idea of what you’re looking for in an author visit.
- Chat with me via email. I’ll answer any questions you may have, and we’ll discuss tentative dates for the visit. I’ll also ask for your mailing address so I can send you a hardcopy of my official Author Visit Packet. (You will have already received a digital copy of the packet via email.)
- Peruse the Author Visit Packet. Inside, you’ll find everything you ever wanted to know about a Mandy Davis Author Visit including policies, costs, book signing information, presentation descriptions, a booking form, etc.
- Send in your booking form. I’ll be seeing you soon!
OTHER SPEAKING APPEARANCES
In addition to school visits, I am also available to speak at reading/writing/literacy nights, libraries, conferences, and other group meetings. If you are interested, please use the form below to contact me, and I will email you to discuss specifics. Under “Grade Level” please describe the approximate size and composition of your group. (Ex: 50 teachers, 75 librarians, a mixed group of 100 parents and fourth graders, etc.)
Want to know more? Ready to begin the booking process? Complete the short form below to get started.